Gather your friends, crank up the BBQ and impress with this gourmet BBQ recipe by Michael Van de Elzen!
Charred beef thick flan on a rye baguette with sultana jam
300gm beef thick flank or skirt steak
1 blub garlic, peeled and smashed
2 Tbsp Grove Avocado Garlic Oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper
2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
200g soft goats cheese
2 red onions
4 Tbsp sultanas
½ cup red wine vinegar
4 Tbsp raw sugar
Fresh rocket leaves
2 rye baguettes (each one cut in half to serve two people)
The day before you want to serve your beef baguette, you will need to marinate the beef thick flank. Make up a marinade of avocado oil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Put the beef and the marinade in a bowl, mix, cover and refrigerate overnight.
1. To prepare the jam, slice the onions and place in a heavy-based saucepan with the sultanas, red wine vinegar and sugar.
2. Over a medium heat, reduce this mix until thickened, about 20-30mins.
3. Take your goats cheese and blitz in a food processor with a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Alternatively whisk or beat in a bowl until softened.
4. Place your marinated beef on the hot BBQ grill (over hot embers on your Engel fire if you're lucky enough to have one) for about 5 minutes each side, until medium-rare.
5. Rest the meat for about 10 minutes before slicing.
6. Spread the softened goats cheese in the baguettes, then arrange your beef, rocket and sultana jam on top of this.
7. Cut each baguette in half and serve with chard salad (recipe below).
Hot rainbow chard salad with crispy roasted garlic skins
1 bunch (about 500g) rainbow chard
2 bulbs garlic
700g vine tomatoes
2 Tbsp Grove avocado garlic oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180*C.
2. Drizzle a little olive oil over the tomatoes and the garlic, season with salt and pepper.
3. Put into the hot oven for about 30-40 minutes.
4. To make the vinaigrette, blitz the lemon juice, avocado oil, 2-3 cloves of the roasted garlic, salt and pepper.
5. Wash the chard in fresh water and drain. Just before serving, sauté the chard in a hot frying pan with olive oil, salt and pepper.
6. Arrange the chard on a large serving plate with the roasted vine tomatoes, the flesh and the outer skins of the roasted garlic and dress with the vinaigrette.
Now serve and prepare yourself for the compliments about to fly in your direction!